A successful CrossFit journey includes a high-quality diet. While many CrossFitters prescribe to a paleo diet, it is not a requirement. What is more important is that you eat real food in the appropriate proportions. You can do this by determining how many calories you need as well as calculating your macros.
What is Paleo?
A paleo diet consists of meats, fruits, vegetables, fish, nuts, seeds, and certain fats. Paleo dieters eschew grains, beans, soy, dairy, refined sugars, and certain fats. The thought behind this diet is to emulate our Paleolithic hunter-gatherer ancestors. They did not suffer from many of the dietary-related illnesses that many people do today. Do not worry if the Paleo diet is not for you. Eating good quality foods in the appropriate proportions will still help you achieve your fitness goals.
What are Macros?
Macronutrients are what your body uses to create and store energy. They are proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. One gram of protein and carbs each equate to four calories while one gram of fat is nine calories. Your goal (weight loss, weight maintenance, or weight gain) will determine how many calories you need to eat per day. Our nutritionist and coaches can help you determine that number.
As for your macros, you can use the following as a general rule of thumb for your diet:
- Ectomorph: thinner build, hard to gain weight despite prolific food intake
- 25% protein, 55% carb, 20% fat
- Mesomorph: natural tendency to be in shape, easy to build muscle but also easy to gain weight without proper diet
- 35% protein, 30% carb, 35% fat
- Endomorph: thicker build, puts on weight easily, hard to pack on muscle without also adding fat
- 35% protein, 40% carbs, 30% fat
These are general guidelines, so be sure to discuss your fitness goals with our coaches to determine the best dietary approach for you. Contact us today to get started on your CrossFit journey.